Saturday, March 12, 2005

Screen Names - History of

Old friends, aquaintances and those that got 0wN3D by me and well, the general public who've come across my blogs, or have chatted with me online (IM or otherwise), or those that was fragged to h3ll by me in some 1st person games would've seen my screen names. More often than not, history and their origins remain a mystery (a tad a bit too lazy to explain).


1995 - ll ; mIRC
My screen names started out when I discovered that you can actually type some crap (any crap) and practically a million people would see it. Hence, that was the begining of a new addiction: Online Chatting. And so I crapped on and on and on for years. ll was my screen name, picked after my initials. It was simple, easily recognised and relatively unique. Relatively, coz after a couple of months, i started seeing aa, zz, gg, 11, 66, ee etc in the chat rooms that I frequent. Time for a change.


1996 - [ll] - mIRC
Not very creative, picking a silly name like that... but it beats out the rest w/o the [ and the ]. But soon, I started seeing [11], [aa], [zz], [gg] etc. Time for another change.



1996 - Al[e]cto - mIRC
Character taken from the book "The Immortal" written by Christopher Pike. Alecto is the Leader of the Furies (supposedly the leader of the underworld, collecting souls of mortals to get across the river Styx, Greek Mythology-wise). See why I don't wanna go talk about screen names n stuff to everyone who asked? Anyway, Got bored of the nick after a while. Change.


1997 - FireMessenger - mIRC, Mirabilis ICQ
Another character taken from Christopher Pike's book, "Season of Passage". Incidently, this blog's title is another theme used in the book. (refer to my very first posting). So much for originality, but who cares about being original. I want to honor Season of Passage, and so be it.

The Fire Messenger is the emmisary of the Sun (yes, the Sun itself, that bright thingee shining every day, not some retro - reverse retro parallex term refering to another mysterious and all powerful entity or something). The Fire Messenger brings wrath and destruction to the enemies of the Sastra people. (Lost? Go read the book... and hopefully you'd be a step nearer to enlightment)


1998 - residentsniper - mIRC, Mirabilis ICQ & Cyber Cafes
Longest lasting of all my screen names (still in use today), and most widely known to fit into the designation of my alter ego.

At the time the nick was conceived, the game Resident Evil was one of the most popular ones around. I have never played it, but some kid took on the name ReSiDeNTEvil tried to challenge me in another popular game back then, Delta Force (greenish interfaced 1st person shooting game). I fragged his white ass back to Timbuktu with a score of 107-3. Officially, I believe that record still stands as the best frag score in the DF game in MI Cybercafe. I OWNED that kid. Took on the nick "Resident". Didn't sound right after a while, so added "Sniper" at the end of it. (Was the BEST sniper in DF... one life unit comes with about 50 bullets max, could frag about 42 lives with that one, on average - 1.19 Kills per Shot - Perfect score is one shot one kill). Hence ResidentSniper was conceived, used and holds a special place in my heart (though I no longer play any network games frequently, and more often than not, none at all), the name stuck.


2000 - [milf]resident - Cyber Cafes
The years leading to the new millinium and a couple that follows it was the halcyon days of the game called Counter Strike (or CS in short). EVERY single male young adult between the age of 15 and 22 would have at least heard of the game, and most have played it at least once, and a large number actively "Doing CS" every single night without fail. Me and a couple of my good buddies jumped the bandwagon, learned, improved and many of us in the gang became some of the best players in the SS15 area. We formed a clan called [milf] (two definitions for the abbreviation - 1. go watch American Pie 2. Read archived news aboout Phillipines' political situation down south).

And so [milf]resident became a known name to equally obssessive CS players in Silver Surfer SS15. Day in day out we burnt our dad's hard earned cash on ethereal bits and bytes on the computer, with the boss of the cafes smiling all the way to the bank...everyday. But I guess that hobby beats the hell out of getting stoned or drunk.

Tributes then, to my former teamates (most are still good friends in real life), it had been a great honor to be playing with you guys: [milf]kaz, [milf]ash, [milf]elcy, [milf]pettiu and the rest of the [milf] and [MILF] (partner clan - join forces when there's a competition) members.


Well, that's it for part one. If I keep doing this for another hour or so, my boss is gonna have my head for lunch. Will post another one asap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home